Thursday, July 3, 2014

TBT: Happy Independence Day!!!

Tomorrow is July 4. In America that means
Independence Day!

... No folks... sorry, we're not talking about the Movie.



We're talking about the day we celebrate our freedom!! A day of fireworks, cookouts, and most likely lake time.

I've always thought of myself as a very lucky girl. My dad is a certified pyrotechnic. So yes, obviously he likes playing with fire, but to be certified it means he has a licence to blow things up. Like fireworks.

When my sister and I were growing up, we lived with my dad. Every July 4th he and a few of his friends would meet in a random park in Chamblee, GA and do a fireworks show for the city. I always thought (ok, I still do) that it was the coolest that my dad could legally blow stuff up! Daddy's little girl, huh?

The shows eventually grew to where the city would advertise everything and a mini carnival was started. They would start festivities at 2 PM. There would be food trucks, vendors, games, music- the whole deal.
I'll never forget I nearly broke both of my wrists before the firework show one year. My dad was busy setting up so my sister and I were with our grandparents. Music was playing over the loud speaker, and something from The Backstreet Boys came on. Naturally I screamed and stared dancing like a fool. The grass was wet from a recent rain shower (like always on July 4 in Georgia!), so I slipped and the way I landed both of my wrists went way too far backwards! (OUCH!)

He doesn't do the show anymore because he's busy with his 9-5 job, but he's still licensed. I beg him every year to do a show for my kids.
What is your favorite July 4th memory? 

This will be the last week for this link up with Amanda and I. We've both agreed it's not really going anywhere and other bloggers have started taking our ideas. We hope y'all understand. We'll be working on some new ideas for the future though! 

Peaches in Missouri

Peaches in Missouri

2 comments :

  1. Ohhh that's so much fun! And I would have yelled for BSB as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know your dad did fireworks!

    ReplyDelete