Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Pointless Post

Y'all, guess what? Valentine's day is this week! I'm not sure what gave it away; the fact that it's all over T.V. or the countless blog posts about Valentine's.

Josh and I don't really do a whole lot for the "holiday". We're more in the mind set of we love each other all year,  and we don't need extra gifts or cards just because Hallmark says so. I should have prefaced with "honesty alert". Just sayin.
However, I cannot escape the fact that Zander's school is essentially forcing the holiday down our throats. Not even exaggerating a little bit, y'all. In the past two weeks we've gotten approximately 4 reminders that they're having a Valentine's party on Friday the 13th. "Treats are welcomed, valentine's will be passed out, and remember: we have 22 friends in our class!" (Exact words from one of the reminders). 
We already planned on sending Zander to school with the paper Valentine cards. We were restricted on those tho, though. We can send them but we can't put the "friend's" names on them. "Children are encouraged to sign their names." (Another direct quote from the reminders). Lucky for Josh and me, we have a super smart kid that really enjoys writing his name. Even if it is 21 times. My question to the world though, when the heck did kids stop writing names on Valentines? 
I remember in elementary school spending countless hours with my mom hunched over the table personalizing all of the valentine's for school. We'd get the cards with tootsie pops attached and write names and a little not on every single one. Sure, it's easier to just have the kids sign their names, but where's the fun in that? 
So I got to thinking. Since we're allowed to bring treats, why not have fun with that? I did the responsible thing, and checked with the teachers to see if there were any food restrictions. Of course there were. (whomp whomp). No peanuts, no red dye... the list went on. I had so many ideas from pinterest, too. And yet... shot down! (because all of my amazing inspirations broke at least one or more restrictions from the teachers). UGH! 
How is a newly stay at home mom supposed to have fun and be creative with my son's school when everything I propose gets shot down? The answer: Zander's birthday. I've gotten the all clear to send 22 cupcakes with Zander on the 26th for his birthday. I also found the perfect design that includes no red dye or peanuts. Monkey Cupcakes! Don't worry, once these bad boys have been created I will share. Even if it is a pinterest fail. ;) 

So I guess this is just a random rant post for today. I needed to rant and didn't even realize. I hope y'all have a great Tuesday. 
(just because)

 photo TRLSigNov2014_zps7a838dc4.png

30 comments :

  1. what? no red dye? what does that even mean? this sounds ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely feels like Valentine's Day is everywhere this year. The monkey cupcakes will be AMAZING. I share my birthday with Zander!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha excellent gifs-they were cracking me up! can't wait to see the monkey cupcakes and it's interesting to hear how much v-day celebrations in schools have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I figured the randomness / pointless-ness of the post needed funny Sheldon gifs! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it sounds like a made up allergy to keep kids from eating sweets. I dunno. it's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's so cool that y'all share a birthday! it's a good day for sure! :) I can't wait to try to do the cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gifs were cracking me up.
    I think it's important to make sure every kid in the class gets a Valentine. There was this little brat in 2nd grade that only made these super cute Valentine's for her friends (I was not included) and it really hurt my feelings. At that age is too young to start cutting kids out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. EXACTLY. I firmly believe if you're going to share, share with the whole class so I have no problem with getting 22 valentines. I was a little shocked they didn't want their names on them though, but I guess because of the age (4 and 5 year olds) it makes some sense. Glad you liked the gifs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems weird, and I would never have my daughter's school ban it, but for her (age almost 5) it gives her terrible night terrors! I was looking for help with the terrors and someone suggested it - sure enough, every time she had red dye in the afternoon she would have a terror. Not sure if it's related to other things or not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. E's school is having the same thing - no names. For me, I don't mind it because what if we were to forget one?? I always send extras, then there will be one for everyone. But, I do remember the personalized valentine's in school and how fun that was!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol. I'll be honest, I didn't edit today's post for content and after publishing and thinking I see the point of not wanting to have anyone forgotten. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had no clue red dye was an issue. Eventually there will be too many restrictions! My coworker's child's preschool no longer allows holiday parties due to the food restrictions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Red dye...really? So crazy, I remember we could bring whatever the heck we wanted in. We also always writ the students name on it. It was more fun that way...schools are just no fun anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adding Sheldon gifs to this made it totally awesome. I'm not looking forward to the restrictions at schools when my little boy is older... ahhhhhhhh sounds awful haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, even random posts can be good posts. Can't wait to see those Monkey cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Monkey cupcakes! You will be the mom to beat after that! They will love you I'm sure. :) I remember writin names in my Valentines! What's the fun if you can't put their name on it. Craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love Monkey cupcakes :) As a teacher, and being on the flip-side of this, much of this is out of our control too. Comes from above. Above, above. And beyond. In many cases, like food...can almost go to the state level. These are the days when I just want the kids to be kids. Some of our teachers restricted names, but we did not :) Our oldest had a similar request from her preschool. And it really can be hard for the kids to pass out 21 valentines x 21 students, especially when they are so young, But, yessssss, I am all for letting them have a blast whenever we can!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like... who cares if their names are on the card or not!?! What's the big deal? And dude at all the allergies. These poor kids these days are sheltered from so much of the real world. I can't wait to see those cupcakes though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll definitely be sharing them on the blog. Pinterest fail or success, they will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. the allergies these days are SO ridiculous!! IMO it starts at pregnancy when women are listening too much to the books and doctors and NOT eating stuff like eggs and peanut butter. but that's just my opinion. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I cannot wait to try the cupcakes. it should be lots of fun. I may need to sharpen my knives though so I can cut the nilla wafers. :D it's good to hear that a lot of it is out of your hands. I kind of figured that might be the case, but it's good to know that the teachers aren't just being crazy for the heck of it. glad to hear that you're letting your kids have fun though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL! I hope so! the kids need to have fun, and I don't want to just do the walmart cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hopefully it doesn't get worse than it is now! and yes to Sheldon! always!

    ReplyDelete
  24. RIGHT?! my parents never had to worry about what I brought to school with me. As long as I had enough for everyone. ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  25. omg no parties at all?!?! how sad! it's getting really out of hand with all of these new allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are a good mommy to make them with him! Even if the school is weird with its rules!

    ReplyDelete
  27. random is my love language! and ps...his school sounds cray with all the rules! haha...I've never heard of kids not being able to personalize their valentines! you'd think they would want the kids to practice writing. oh well...they're probably thinking it will be easier for the teacher this way. and...can't wait for monkey cupcakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. yeah I think it was more for the teachers. Zander loves practicing his writing though. he's gotten so good at lower case letters. :) so glad you enjoyed the randomness, and I'll definitely share the cupcakes in 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. thanks! :) I'm sure the kids will love them.

    ReplyDelete