Monday, September 29, 2014

Grateful For Siblings

That's right, I said it. I'm grateful for my siblings. It's Monday and that means we're linking up with Emily over at Ember Grey. Who, by the way got to go to the blogging confrence in Indy (super jealous... can't wait to hear all about it!) I've had an amazing weekend with my two youngest brothers, so I had to dedicate my Grateful Heart Monday to my siblings (even my sister even though I didn't get to play with her this past weekend) *sad face*

Ember Grey
So... We're about to get real on the blog for a little bit y'all. I have to explain my family situation. So there's my mom. She's great. She was married to my dad for awhile. They had me on Christmas, 1987 (there's the real part because now you know my age!) 14 months later my sister was born. And because pictures help everything, here you go!
Sadly, mom and dad were too different and got divorced. A few years later Mom met someone new. We lovingly refer to him as Jethro, or Asshole (if we're feeling exceptionally loving). *hint: we don't like Asshole*. Well, Mom and Jethro ended up having two boys together. On purpose, I don't have any pictures of Jethro; so sorry, he's not part of the family tree. The oldest of the two is 15 years younger than me. The youngest is 17 years younger than me. Can we say age gap?? Yikes! So if you're doing the math and keeping up with the class, you know that J1 (because they both have names that start with J) is 11 and J2 is 9.

Moving on. The good news is my mom left Jethro about three years ago! PRAISE! She is now doing well, married to a wonderful new man that everyone loves, and just bought a new house!

Now that you know all that, I can move on (yeah, sorry... that wasn't the point of the blog post but I felt like it was relevant).

My mom and her newest hubby took a trip this past weekend to see my newest step sister get married (aw!). But, they couldn't bring brothers so I got to play with them ALL weekend! They had the option of either staying with their dad all weekend or our house, they picked my house! And yes, I'm genuinely excited about that! Zander loves playing with his uncles, and they're really great with him. With Ainsley too but for the most part she does whatever she wants to anyway. She sometimes doesn't care about Uncles.

I'm grateful that I have a close bond with all of my family, and that my brothers enjoy spending time with me. I think it helps that we have an XBox 360, but they do like playing with Zander and Ainsley. Josh isn't a fan of board games, so when my brothers are here I actually get a chance to play Clue! I'm grateful that I have such a large family, my new step siblings included.


Even with them getting Zander glued to the TV / Video games I'm grateful that they wanted to spend the night here. 

What are you grateful for today? 

16 comments :

  1. I looks like they had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siblings are awesome! & Sibling time is even better! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! We had a great time this weekend, and it was great seeing my mom when she came to pick the boys up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. they did! When my mom came to pick them up J1 said, "can't we stay just a few more hours?" lol. They're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so grateful for my siblings--we are also a blended family! Now that we are older, we don't get to spend as much time with one another so we are always so thankful for the time we do get! Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, we don't get a whole lot of time either. My sister and I have our own adult lives (me with the kids) and our mom is about 45 minutes away from us, so every chance we get to spend together we make the most of it! We did have a wonderful time this weekend- much needed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. too cute!! I have a little brother who is 12 1/2 years younger than me + loves to call me "mom" in public since I took him to school + essentially everywhere I went when I was in high school.. but now that he's 13 he just thinks it's funny to tell people he's my kid... it looks like y'all had a blast though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww! Thanks for including the pictures- so fun to see faces to go with the names and stories :) So fun that all the boys get to play together. So glad you had a great weekend!! :) (So, who won Clue??)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! I'm a very visual person and prefer to have pictures with things, so I just automatically assume everyone else requires pictures to understand, too. HA. Maybe not, but it's ok. One of those pictures was my brothers, my kids, and at least 2 of the neighbor kids all playing together. We had a full house Saturday. lol. And, J2 won clue. It was Mrs White in the library with a wrench. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never, in my life, won Clue. So it's always very important to me to know who wins... and thank you for sharing details. That helps too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. HA! oh that's great. When J2 was a baby everyone assumed he was mine when I was at Kroger with him. Because apparently ALL 17 year olds at that time were having kids?

    ReplyDelete
  12. well we are the generation responsible for 16 + pregnant...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Siblings are so much fun - and your brothers are too cute! :) I'm glad you had a fun weekend with them!
    Btw - I think we have the same glasses?? The ones you're wearing in the 'Me!' pic above - kind of tortoise color and mint green, DKNY?? :) Also, we're both Christmastime babies!! I'm on the 29th...how many years did it take you to not feel like you were getting ripped off on your birthday celebrations lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure of the brand of the glasses. I got them at lenscrafters this year. the color on the stem says "black / turquoise". I think the lighting in the pic is bad and you can't see it's really blue. lol. My family was really good about not making me feel ripped off for Christmas; we've always done Christmas presents first and then my birthday after. :) it works.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a huge age gap, but I'm sure it keeps things fun! They're more like your sons than bros!! Perfect for Z....it's awesome they can all grow up together!!

    ReplyDelete