Monday, September 22, 2014

There's Feet On My Back!

One of my favorite bloggers around lately is Cassie from Sage the Blog. She's so sweet and so creative, and last week she posted a really cool post about one of her tattoos. I'm a big fan of tattoos, and I love hearing stories behind other peoples' artwork. Because it is art and almost every tattoo has a story. I say almost because one of mine is a flash tattoo with no story.

SO... after emailing with Cassie (because I didn't want to totally steal her idea here!) I wanted to share my tattoos with y'all.

My very first tattoo I got in 2006. I had thought about this tattoo for a long time, and I knew I wanted to get something special... not just any old tattoo. I had thought about a sister related tattoo or something like that, but it all seemed so silly. One day it hit me like a ton of bricks. "Just Breathe". My Great Great Uncle Louis used to tell the family this all the time! He lived to be 106 years old, and in his small home town of LeRoy, New York he was interviewed because he lived so long. The local paper asked him how he lived so long and his answer was simple, "Just Breathe". I knew that's what I wanted my first tattoo to be. A simple reminder that when  life gets too hard, just breathe. As long as you're breathing you're living. What I love most about this one is that it was freehanded. The lady that did it took a toothpick, dipped it in the ink and wrote on my back with the toothpick to see if I liked the placement. When I said yes, she wiped it clean and went to town! Talk about a trust exercise, huh??
 
My second tattoo I got in 2008. Like I said, this tattoo has no story. There's no meaning behind this one. It's a flash tattoo from the walls of Magick Dragon Tattoo. Josh went in there wanting something new. The day I got this one he got his third (and biggest) tattoo. I was jealous that he was getting something new so I wanted to get something, too. I don't regret this one at all, in fact I still love it today. It's my simple little rose/heart. It's on my right wrist and I've never had an issue with it being exposed at work.
 

My third tattoo I got in 2012, just after Zander turned two. I knew after I had him I wanted some sort of tattoo for him. However, I also knew I didn't want a bear or kid toy picture or even a portrait. Those always seemed silly to me. I wanted something special. When he was born, the hospital did stamps of his feet, so lightbulb went off in my head: that would be the perfect tattoo for him! So this tattoo is exactly Zander's feet from when he was born Feb. 26, 2010. This picture was taken moments after the artist finished so that's why it still looks swollen.


I'm dying to get more tattoos, but sadly with two kids it's just not in the budget. There are better things for me to save up for right now. My next one will definitely be something for Ainsley. I was thinking maybe her handprints since I had Zander's feet. Who knows... we'll see when the time is right. I have so many ideas for different tattoos just (like I said) not the funds for all of my fun ideas.

Grateful Heart linkup w/ Ember Grey

Being that today is Monday, we're starting this week with a grateful heart. Linking up with Emily at Ember Grey. I'm very grateful for my tattoos and I love it when people stop to ask me about them. I know it seems silly but I love them! I'm also grateful that I have the freedom and ability to have tattoos.
So tell me, do you have any tattoos? If not, do you want one?

28 comments :

  1. Adorable! I don't think I've ever seen a tattoo like that before. They grow so quick!!

    V
    Life+1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the feet!!! I don't have any tattoos. I've always wanted one but I've never found something that I know for sure I won't regret, so I've never gone. Plus, now, Thomas hates them, so it's unlikely I'll get one at all.But who knows, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Yeah, I've seen it a few times but I had found out from the people I knew that it was "just a picture of some baby feet from the internet" These are his actual feet so it's special. Here he is 4 years old with huge feet now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely don't get anything you'd regret. if you're not 100% sure then don't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the feet are awesome! And how strange about your uncle - my parents lived very near to LeRoy a few years ago!!! That's definitely up in this neck of the woods. Small world - and sage advice from your great great uncle indeed :)
    I have 2 tattoos (so far) - I have a million ideas for more but as you say, other things to worry about with kids so I suspect I will slowly add to my artwork over time. I have a small one on my back that I designed, and my daughter's name on my left wrist. :) Currently trying to decide if Baby O2's name will go on my right wrist, or somewhere else altogether!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny! My great aunt (my grandma's sister) still lives in LeRoy. She's about the only one left as most of the rest of that side of the family is in GA. Maybe one of these days I'll go visit her and be able to meet up with you and Anne! :)
    I'd love to see pictures of the tattoo on your back. I LOVE custom work! I'm sure you'll come up with something for Baby O2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your tattoos! <3 Especially the feeties! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love hearing the stories (even if there isn't really one) behind people's tattoos! And I love your flash tattoo! So pretty! (I have one on my foot, above my toes and have plans to get 2 more... maybe after we move) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love hearing the stories behind tattoos. I have a white ink tattoo on my left wrist. I'm going to get one more on my right wrist. Each of my daughters are going to write a word and I'll have it done in white ink. I'm thinking Live, Laugh, Love...each word matches each one of my daughters perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to see pictures. I love tattoos. :) Lucky for me so does Josh. His oldest brother though... he has I think 20 something tattoos. (whoa!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks! :) the feeties are my fave. I can't wait to get something for Ainsley, something just as special

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love them too! My brother has a ton, including a full sleeve - it suits him though :) Christian isn't against tattoos but I'm not sure he's going to ever get one. Which is okay, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I go back and forth...get one, no don't. I don;t know what I'd like to put on my body forever! But I do love that simple tattoos have become so popular! Steve has my name on his ring finger and doesn't wear his wedding band anymore. He works with electricity a lot and has heard horror stories of people's jewelry melting to their skin...ummm...no thank you...I'll take the permanent tat of my name on your finger! :) Maybe when we're done having kids I'll get something that incorporates the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am itching for another tattoo. I love mine. But like you, it's not in the budget. School is expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the "just breathe" the font is SO perfect and the placement is great! And the feet are darling too

    ReplyDelete
  16. My best friend has foot prints of her kids tattood on her back too. I've always loved it! You uncle and his "just breathe" advice is wonderful. I can't imagine living that long but I have hear you get wiser with time and I will take his advice..so simple yet so pure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the "just breathe" one & the feet for your son! I, too, have a footprint on the top of one of my feet in remembrance of my godson who was stillborn a few years back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much! Those are the ones that have the most meaning to me :)
    I love that you have one for your Godson too. SO SWEET! Do you have a picture?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, when my Grandma first told me about his advise and that he ALWAYS said it, it really stuck with me. I used to remind myself to "just breathe" all throughout school and after graduation. I knew it had to be my first tattoo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks so much! I love that the artist free-handed the "just breathe". it's so special to me. Of course now I'm itching for more ink!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think once you do decide to go for it, you're going to love it and then you'll be like all of us and want MORE MORE MORE! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do! I didn't share about it this time around, but plan to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the feets on your back! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your last one! They are so tiny when they are born and a perfect size for a tattoo!

    ReplyDelete