Monday, October 27, 2014

Once Upon A Time...

...In a far away kingdom, there was a beautiful maiden.

haha, sorry y'all we're not making up stories today. I'm actually referring to the TV Show. Have you seen it?

Let me back track a little bit in case you're like me and had no clue until now. The show airs on ABC. Currently they're in season 4. Which of course means this is the year Josh and I decide to tune in. We had zero intention on getting hooked. It airs on Sundays and we usually don't have a "Sunday" show now that True Blood is gone. So we flipped it on during the season premiere this year and we were hooked. HOOKED, y'all!

So naturally we did the smart thing and started with season one. Except we're still watching new episodes of season 4 every Sunday too. Y'all I'm telling you this show is so good.

Quick summary: The Evil Queen from Snow White casts a curse on all enchated folk which causes them to get stuck in Maine and lose their memory. Snow White and Charming have a baby, but they send her away to keep her safe. She's the key to breaking the curse. On her 28th birthday she comes back to the "kingdom" (Maine) and the curse starts to break. Throughout the season we're introduced to all of the characters and they explain more about their different stories.

Things I Learned (about stories I thought I knew) that I find fascinating.

Rumpelstiltskin is everywhere. Not even kidding a little bit. Apparently he's not just the gold-spinning / baby stealer that we knew and loved. He used to be a regular man... with a kid. He got his powers from killing some sort of "dark one" and inherited the powers. He then abandoned his kid and proceeded to intertwine himself into everyone else's lives. What I've found out from season 1 is he is "Beast" from Beauty and the Beast, in season 2 he's the croc chasing after Captian Hook, and he makes an appearance in just about every other story. Not even kidding. But his character is so funny to me.

There used to be 8 dwarves. Yes, 8. Stealthy Dwarf was killed by Prince Charming's father's guards.

Prince Charming, btw isn't even a real Prince. He had a twin brother  that Rumplestiltskin stole and gave to the royal family. His twin brother was supposed to fight a dragon, but got killed by some random bad guy so in order to keep a deal with King Midas going bad the King had Rumple get the other twin (Charming). Are we still following along?

Gepetto is an orpahn. Rumplestiltskin (see? I told you he's everywhere!) gave Jiminy Cricket a curse to kill his own parents. Instead it was given to Gepetto's parents; turning them into little wooden puppets. Jiminy was so guilty about it that he wished upon a star to change the parents back. The fairy godmother couldn't change Gepetto's parents, but she was able to change Jiminy into a cricket so he could be Gepetto's conscience.

Josh cracks me up when we're watching because if he's not paying attention to the time and he thinks the episode is almost over he'll yell at the TV "don't you end yet!" haha. love that husband of mine.

This weekend we just started watching season two. I'm telling y'all this is such a great show. At the end of a lot of the episodes in season two Josh and I will look at each other and go "Dun dun dun!" at the same time. haha. The plot thickens.
There's also much more that I've learned in season two, but I'll share those for another day. For now I predict several more late nights after the kids are in bed to get all caught up. 
Have y'all seen any of the seasons? Which is your favorite?

17 comments :

  1. I love Once Upon A Time...Oh just you wait on the twist that comes in season 3...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh a twist! Can't wait!! I'm sure you'll get a text :P lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried watching it in the past, may have to try it again. My mom loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait to start watching this! It's been on my Netflix list forever... I'm slowly making my way to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE THIS SHOW!! Seriously though, start from the beginning, it will make so much more sense.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Yeah we started with season four. Two episodes in we got confused SO Josh got season one. We just started season three. It all makes sense now. LOVE the show

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you'll love it. Sorry if I spoiled something for you with this but it'll make more sense when you actually see it. It's so great

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tell me if you do try it again. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE IT. Also, I love Hook. I'm sad his pretty face isn't on here. He's such a babe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In all fairness when I began writing this I only knew hook from season four. He wasn't in one. I finished this post yesterday afternoon during season two and now we're in Neverland (season three). I do love hook though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hubs used to be totally addicted!! I watched season one, but have since cut all but 3 shows out of my tv watching time. I got a little too addicted!! But yes, this ones a good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband and I were going to start watching it this season because, hello Frozen, but I want to wait. So, it's on our list and we'll be catching up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow...I'm confused. Typical me though. I have heard excellent things about this show but I have yet to watch it. I can barely keep up with the few shows I do watch..maybe one day I will binge watch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was also a late comer to this show. I watched all the previous and complete seasons on Netflix (1-3) and hopped over to Hulu to watch season 4. So far this season is my least favorite. As much as I anticipated the Frozen characters, they are too new to mess with (like you said Rumple is the beast and the croc which is ok because those movies are old and classic) but Frozen is so new, it's just hard for me to see Elsa as good and hard for me to see Anna as anything but annoying. Hopefully I get over it. I absolutely love this show and I LOVE LOVE Captain Hook. Hello, I need a towel because . . . drool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this show, but haven't watched it in forever. I "marathoned" seasons 1 and 2 on dvd but stopped after that because I thought it started to get kinda weird, but my mother in law told me recently that it got good again. (Are you following me? ha!) Laughing over Josh yelling at the tv, haha! I just might have to pick this back up again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've peeked my interests, I've never watched this show!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started watching this show a while back, but then after the first season I just stopped for some reason. I might have to restart.

    ReplyDelete