Wednesday, October 1, 2014

We Are Family!

Family sizes are so interesting to me. Some people (like me) have the standard cookie cutter family. We have the wife, the husband, the older son and the younger daughter. Then there are others that have five (or more) kids with the massive house, mini van, and a potential personal soft ball team.

How did we decide how big our family would be?
Linking up with Christine, Brittany, and Ashley for Mama Tells All
Mamas Tell All

Honestly, it wasn't really something that Josh and I talked about when we first got married. Not extensively anyway. We both knew we wanted kids. We both come from massive families. Actually, let's go down that road for a minute...
Josh is the third child of eight kids (yes, 8). We always thought he was the third of 7, and then early this year we found out there was SURPRISE you have a sister and she's three months younger than you. Yeah... that happened. Sorry, back on track. So third of 8. In those eight the oldest 5 have at least two kids each. His dad is the oldest of 4, and his mom is the 2nd of 4... So the Camacho's are many!
I am the oldest of four. I'm the only one with kids on my dad's side of the family out of my cousins but I have a lot of cousins. My dad is the 4th of 6 and my mom is the youngest of 7. So clearly, big families on both sides.
One of Josh's brothers is missing from the bottom picture

So how did we just end up with two? Well, we both like the thought of a big family. However, neither of us like the thought of the big family budget! Let's be honest here. As of right now, we only have one car. We're in a two bed room rental house. Kids are expensive. With two kids, everyone can fit comfortably in Josh's 4 door lincoln. (For now) a two bedroom house is big enough. Naturally when the kids get older they will need their own rooms, but we'll cross that path when the time comes. Zander just started pre-k so we're only paying daycare for Ainsley. If there was a #3 (or #4) thrown into this mix this is what would happen:
  • We'd need a bigger car immediately
  • We'd need a bigger house immediately
  • I hate the idea of "middle" kids, so I would want to even it out with 4 kids.
  • I would probably have to be a stay at home mom because the cost of multiple kids in daycare while I work full time just would't be worth it.
The thought of all this scares me. I really admire the parents that have big families. I know it's a lot of work, but it's also very rewarding. We haven't completely closed the door on expanding our family, but it's not a conversation we can have right now. Do I want more kids? Absolutely. Just not in the very near future. After we had Zander we knew we would want another one. We knew early on that Zander would be a good big brother. (and we were right!) He's very sweet and loving and genuinely cares about how others feel. He's very sensitive.  The thought of Ainsley as a big sister kind of scares me because she's a little spit fire pistol. She can be mean. #honesty.



Zander, being our first, was the baby that we were trying for but not really trying for. We were just having fun practicing. I didn't keep track of ovulation periods or anything like that, we just weren't using protection. With Ainsley I actually kept track of that and I knew very early on that I was pregnant with her!

As part of my Wednesday Wishes (love you, Anne!) I wish that we could have a big family, but I also wish our extended families would quit bugging us so much about it right now. I wish that grandparents (and aunts and uncles) would accept the fact that sometimes it's OK to have just two kids. (OR JUST ONE KID!) I wish people would understand that they don't need to be pressured into more kids. Especially if you can barely afford to feed your family as it is. It's YOUR decision. :)

Love the Here and Now
How big is your family? How did you decide how big your family would be?


22 comments :

  1. Once again, a wonderful post! I love that you always combine the two link ups and add a wish on the end. Thanks for linking up to Mamas Tell All! We love having you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks SO much sweetie! I really enjoy this linkup. Plus it's so fun to see what the other moms have to say on the same topics. I love seeing the variety!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally with you on this one. We are financially comfortable with our family of four, but I fear adding a third would change that drastically. Kids are expensive!! We'll see what is in our plans, I haven't shut the door on in yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. exactly. When people ask me, I just tell them "not yet" or something like that. :) plus, I still need my own car right now! I'm not ready for a mommy mobile just yet. ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much! :) they're very much a blend of me and my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a bit where we're at right now! When we moved from Arkansas to Florida, the cost of living was a big hit in the face. Our 2 bedroom condo is a limited-time-dwelling as I'm pregnant with baby #2! I don't want fears to be my reason to have a certain number of children, because it has been my experience that God has provided generously through other people -- but I also don't think we should intentionally go into a situation that is biting-off-more-than-we-can-chew! Just a quick shout out to middle children -- I am the middle of 3 sisters, and I love it! I think it is a bit different when it is mixed gender-ed, but for me -- being in the middle wasn't weird at all! I just added my post to the link up: http://www.mitchaeljourney.com/2014/10/how-do-you-decide-your-family-size.html
    Everyone has such different thoughts on this! It has been so fun to read what brought each person to their current perspectives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE YOU!!! Love reading about families....it's funny...I knew after my third child that I was done (and that's not bc she was a tough child at all...she's easygoing). We had our first at 23 and I knew I wanted to be done by the time I was 30 so that when they were off at college my husband and I would be able to enjoy ourselves while we were still young. I closed that door at 29 and never regretted it since.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your children are beautiful!! The economy IS scary, I just tell myself it will all be worth it to see babies grow up :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! what a crazy move! I can totally relate to moving costs, but I can't imagine what they'd be from state to state like that. And my hubby wants to move to Jersey! ugh! I love seeing the other opinions and thoughts on these topics :) thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so great. It's awesome that y'all made the decision together and it seems like you have a happy little family. Ainsley's a tough cookie, but we haven't closed the door yet. ;) we just have to see what the future holds. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you so much! <3 and YES it will all be worth it. Esp if they get to be awesome sports stars and give us big houses when we're old. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kids cost money, lots. Keith always said no kids til we are ready & financial ready. If that is how it would have worked out we probably would not have kids!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah...your kids!! Adorable!! And I love your logic...more kids=more money! I will NOT be showing this post to Steve as I would love to have at least 2 more (after Judy). I might be lucky to get one more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't understand why parents and grandparents can't accept just one or two or no kids. Kids cost lots of time and money these days, and the economy isn't helping. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks. You guys need to do what's best for your family and what makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! You're hilarious. But thank you! <3 One thing I can be proud of is I made cute babies. ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. RIGHT? just because grandma had 6 boys doesn't mean I want that... much less can afford that. Hello, price of gas is way more than it was in 1947!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes...but they're so much more than cute...adorable, beautiful, charming...just to name a few. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The standard cookie cutter family? Ha! I have one child, and EVERYONE keeps asking when were are going to have another. But I wish they would stop. Sure, it will be lonely when Lil Man starts school, and maybe then we will have another, but yeah, kids are expensive. AND your kids are way too cute! Maybe that's why they keep asking? To keep the cuteness going? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your kiddos are so adorable. The thought of a large family stresses me out. Kids are expensive and they seem to be more expensive the older they get? I hope whoever I marry is cool with just 1 MAYBE 2....ha!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aw thanks! They're a handful but cute. Sometimes one is all you need. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hahaha I guess technically there isn't a cookie cutter family anymore. I wish more people would realize that sometimes one lif is just enough

    ReplyDelete