Tuesday, October 28, 2014

When Llamas Turn Grey

Good morning, lovelies! I'm so excited for today! I'm doing my Grateful Heart post a day later than normal for a special reason. This week I'm grateful for my sponsors. It's not just my sponsors though, it's my bloggy friends.
Ember Grey: Grateful Heart
 
I know I've said it before, but dang it I'll say it a million times. I'm beyond grateful for the friendships I've made in this blogging community. If someone had asked me a year ago how I felt about connecting to random girls online through blogging, I probably would've laughed at them. Now I get it. I see the connections and bonds that have been made. This coming weekend I'll be going to the Atlanta Blogger Meetup, and I cannot wait!! I can't wait to finally meet some of my favorite ladies face to face. I'm grateful for each and every one of y'all that take time out of your days to email / chat / text with me. Or, hell, I have a few new pen pals too!

Today is special though. Today I get to officially introduce one of my amazing sponsors currently sitting on my sidebar. Emily from Ember Grey. I quickly fell in love with Emily's blog, and after commenting on each other's blogs I quickly fell in love with Emily as a friend! She's seriously so sweet, y'all. For us, comments turned into emails and emails eventually turned into text messages. Our random text conversations brighten my day, and she's so funny y'all.

So without further delay, let's get to know Emily a little better!

Describe yourself in four words  // Positive, loyal, compassionate, free-spirited.


How did you and "X" meet? // Well, for any of you new readers, "X" is a nickname for my husband, Christian. (I had to clarify because one time a reader thought I was talking about an ex boyfriend.) I shared the story of how X and I met in Part One of A Love Story, but in short: we met in an alley. He was wearing track pants and adidas flip flops and just randomly started doing the running man. (This was all before we'd even said hello.) That pretty much did it for me right then and there. 


You and your husband are adorable; how did you start the "Conversations with my Husband" series? //  I always said I wanted to marry a man who could make me laugh literally every day, and I did. The truth is though, both my husband and I have this goofy/twisted sense of humor and so a lot of the funny things that happen aren't necessarily things but, rather, conversations. The topics of these conversations are truly all over the place: from dudes at gyms to Alanis Morissette to UFOs to the correct way to pronounce certain words ... the list goes on and on. One night, X pointed out that we have these weird and hilarious conversations all the time but can never remember them the next day (totally true), so I told him that I was going to start to write them down. I started sharing some of the conversations with family and friends and quite a few of them told me I should share them on my blog. And thus, the Conversations with my Husband series was born ;) 


I really love your blogging style. What made you start blogging? // Thank you! My family and close friends are always commenting on how I tend to write just how I talk, and I've always taken that as a compliment. My favorite blogs to read are those where I feel like I can hear the blogger actually talking to me, telling me their story. I hope that's how Ember Grey readers feel, too.

I have always loved to write and tell stories, to connect with others - like really connect with them. I'd had a private blog for years, where I would share the day to day happenings, my dreams, etc. but only invited family and friends to read. At that time, I was in a corporate job and did not feel comfortable with clients being able to read about my personal life. When I left the corporate world in February, I knew that I wanted to have a public blog and to be able to connect to other creatives. The community in the blogging world is amazing and I'm really thankful for each person I've met and continue to get to know through this space.


Is this your first year doing Project 52? //  It is! Project 52 is a photo series/challenge where you choose a topic and then take a picture of that topic once a week. I chose to document the beauty found on weekly walks, which I'd hoped would not only encourage me to take more pictures but also encourage me to take more walks. Thankfully, that has been the case.


You're a new addition to the crayon box. What color would you be and why? //  I assume we're talking about the huge 64 pack of crayons where all of the crayons have cool names?
(yes)
I would be a shade of purple (because it's my favorite color) and I would be called, Midnight at the Oasis.
(This is a title of a song but also references a line in one of the greatest movies of all time: Waiting for Guffman.) 


What's the best advice you've ever been given about blogging? //  "Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle." (I'm sorry- I don't know where this originated from, but whoever said it gets an air-five from me!) Fortunately, I read this quote when I first started publicly blogging and I've kept that close ever since. (It's actually written down and taped on my computer.) (How fancy of me, I know.) 

It's so easy to compare in the blogging world: whether it's comparing numbers or experiences or layouts or partnerships... the list can be endless, if you let it be. The important thing though is NOT to. Try really hard not to compare. This is such a personal and creative outlet for us and it's important to be thankful for the place we're in, in the moment we're in it. As cheesy as this may sound, the quote that says, "Life is about the journey, not the destination" hits the nail on the head for blogging, too. This whole blogging experience really should be just that- an experience, a journey. Perhaps instead of letting others who might be in their middle discourage you, let them encourage you to work hard and make your blog and your space into what you want it to be. 


What's your favorite movie quote? //  "Milk was a bad choice." - Ron Burgundy
Ember Grey

See, y'all? How awesome is she? I'm telling you she's just as sweet and genuine as she sounds in the interview. Thanks again for doing this, Emily.
If you want to get to know Emily better, follow her blog and social media! 
 
Blog | Bloglovin | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

30 comments :

  1. Ah, I love Emily! Glad to get to know her better! And "milk was a bad choice." is one of my favorite movie quotes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if this isn't the sweetest thing from you! :) I just wanna give you a big ol' hug!! Thanks for letting me be a guest on your space today, Melissa! XO!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that she chose that as her favorite quote too! Ron Burgundy is one of my favorite movies. Actually, my dad's favorite too. He adopted a little mutt and named him Baxter. ;) hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha!! And I just noticed your title!! (It's early and pre-coffee. I apologize.) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sponsoring me! :) I promise one day we'll get to give each other a hug! And SO GLAD you like the title. haha. <3 xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore Emily. She really is the sweetest person I have met via Blogland! How lucky you are to have snagged her cell number! I always feel weird asking for numbers because I don't want to come off creepy or like a stalker or something. #ImNotACreepIJustLikeYou

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ask her!! Lol that's the best hashtag though. She really is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Emily! Her blog is so inspirational and she's too sweet. Thanks for the interview, you have some great questions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Emily, she's awesome! I'm so thankfull for this blogging community as well.. it's ladies like you two that make it so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emily is so amazing! You can just tell how down to earth she by the tone of her blog and her answers to these questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. She does sound awesome haha! I'll have to head over to her blog and I definitely want to linkup for Conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, Amanda. I think we're all wayyyy past the stalker stage now. hahaha! ;) I'm gonna email you my digits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I *always* laugh during that part in the movie, haha! Will Ferrel just gets me every time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My day was made today with everyone's sweet comments! :) (I loved the crayon question, haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so excited to get to know you via blogland, Whitney! :) I don't do a linkup for the Conversations (it's just a series I do) but Amanda over at Knock On Wood DOES have a monthly Conversations linkup :) Her blog is at: http://www.knockonwoodblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. She IS awesome I love her. And I see she already mentioned Amanda's link up! One step ahead of me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't she though? She's just as sweet as she sounds on the blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. AW Kendra I adore you!! Soo glad to know you and I love your blog too! I think I found you through Emily's grateful heart

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha I'm glad y'all enjoyed the questions! They actually took awhile to think of. Lol. And yes I love Emily too

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha that was my favorite question too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yep! I'm the one who hosts the link up. But it was definitely inspired by Emily's series (and I totally got her permission to steal it!) the next date for the link up is Thursday, Oct 30th. I'd love to have you link up with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Emily is awesome :) I fell for her blog from the first time I read it, it's so uplifting and positive - and she's a gem as a person and a friend! You BOTH rock!! Love the crayon question - it's one I've actually thought about and discussed with M lol.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved reading this and getting to know her better :) Have a great week, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh good! I will definitely link up, sorry for the confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks Emily, I'm excited to follow you too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I missed this post somehow! Ahhhh...I love you gals. And Emily...a purple crayon? Me too!!!! Don't you just want to hang out with Emily and Christian one night? I think they're an awesome couple. I love her conversations with X series.

    ReplyDelete