Monday, October 6, 2014

Growing Up Spoiled

Happy Monday, Llama Herd! Today I might be showing my age a little bit. But that's OK because for now I'm not ashamed of my age. A few weeks ago Katherine at That's For Me to Know wrote about not having smart phones and social media growing up. She was glad to not have them, and honestly I am, too.

So it is Monday after all, and on Monday's we share our Grateful Hearts; linking up with Emily at Ember Grey.

Grateful Heart Linkup with Ember Grey

After reading Katherine's post it really got me thinking about the way I was raised. I'm grateful for the way my parents brought me up. My parents got divorced when I was 7; they couldn't agree on much and their marriage didn't work out, but they did agree on how to raise my sister and I. We weren't aren't spoiled. Not in the way that most people think of when they hear spoiled. We didn't get a car when we were sixteen, we didn't get a cell phone when we got into high school, and we didn't spend tons of money at the malls. We are spoiled in love.

I didn't get my first cell phone until I graduated high school. My parents (both) said I could have my own cell phone when I could pay for it myself. And guess what? That first bill I got that was over $400 because I had no idea what "going over minutes" was... yeah, I had to pay that myself. I never went over my minutes again.

I didn't get my first car until after high school as well. Just like the cell phone, I could have my own car when I could pay for it and the insurance. My first car was a 92 Saturn SL2. "Lady". She was a P.O.S. but she was mine. She lasted a few years after graduation, too. My dad taught me how to change my oil, my mom taught me how to change a flat.

I'm grateful for all of this. I'm grateful for having parents that spoiled me with love instead of material things. I'm so grateful for the way they brought me up, and I absolutely plan to teach my kids the same. Sure, when I was an angry teenager I was mad at my parents for not buying me a car. But now that I'm almost 27 I know WHY they didn't buy me the car. Phones, and cars, and insurances, and just STUFF... y'all that's expensive.

So, to my mom and dad: thank you for not spoiling me. Thank you for teaching me how to balance my checkbook. Thank you for eveything.



23 comments :

  1. I love this. My parents didn't spoil me and my brother either.
    They did get me a car when I was 16, but mainly because they needed someone to help them take my brother places because they worked an hour out of town and I got a cell phone too (but it wasn't anything fancy) when I was 16 because of the same thing. Then though the cells couldn't text or anything so I never used it for much other than to call them and for them to be able to reach me.
    I think it's okay if parents get those things for their kids, but everything needs to be in moderation or they'll grow up to be brats like my cousins are. Their parents literally give them ANYTHING and EVERYTHING they ever want. My cousin took his mom's credit card and bought an iPad when they first came out without even asking his mom and it was fine because he wanted it...kind of ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's the best thing. Sure, it's ok to provide some nice things if it's within reason. But handing out credit cards like that? Yikes! I could never see my parents doing ANYTHING like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up exactly the same. I remember that my mom wouldn't buy me a new dress unless it was on sale for $7 at Mervyns. She now spoils their grandkids, but for me? I paid for my phone when I went to college, I got a car because I was lucky to have a much older sister who gave me her and her husbands' - but I paid the insurance and gas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most people our age... or our age range are similar like that. I honestly couldn't see it any other way. I know for sure my kids will be raised in a similar fashion. my hubby was raised the same way. He had a car at 16 but only because his much older brother bought a new one and gave him the old pontiac. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It completely blows my mind when elementary schoolers have iphones. I don't care if it's their parent's old one. THEY DON'T NEED IT. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMEN! My little bros (ages 9 and 11) have ONE cell phone to share between them only to be used for when they have after school activities or to call and let my mom know when they're home. and it's definitely not a smart phone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! It's crazy to see how young kids are carrying around phones more expensive than mine! I was fortunate enough to have a dad who bought my brother and I our first cars. But, they were by no means anything fancy! We were in charge of paying for gas so we knew if we wanted to go somewhere, we had to think about it first! And, the only reason I got a cell phone in high school was because there was a deal going on when my grandmother got hers! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen to this. My parents raised me pretty much the same way. We were never handed material things, only things we needed. I was the last of my friends to get a cell phone because I had to pay for it myself, I didn't have a car until college as well and I bought it myself. I love that this is how I was raised. It tought me to be independent. I'm 23 and I still have friends my age and older that their parents are paying for things...I am glad I've learned how to take care of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! I bet you learned real quick the value of gas, as well as the value of minutes! :) glad you liked this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so great to hear that there are so many people out there raised in a similar way. Makes me have hope that the next generation won't be a total loss. I cringe thinking about how many kids now have cell phones and tablets and whatever. I love that my four year old would rather have a baseball and bat for Christmas and not a video game. Thanks for the love hun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this!! We weren't spoilt either and I really try to do the same for my kids--- and get my parents to do the same too--- funny now that they're grandparents, they don't mind doing some spoiling!


    www.itsmygirlsworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post idea! I never thought I was spoiled, which is a great thing. But, looking back on my childhood I realize that I never really "wanted" anything. Does that make sense? I think spoiling can be a bad thing when the child doesn't earn things, and just comes to expect them. As long as life lessons are taught, and how to earn what you want, you are doing something right :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely! I knew if I had to get somewhere, I had to make sure I had the gas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahaha yeah, my mother in law is the worst about spoiling my kids! but sometimes it's OK

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks sweetie! :) And yes, it does make sense. I was the same as you, all I can remember ever really "wanting" was a new barbie or board game. (my mom hated my christmas lists because it always had like two things on it and she wanted to get me more!) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great post, Melissa! Your parents did an awesome job, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! I didn't get a cellphone until I was left at the high school until 9 pm because I couldn't call my mom to remind her that I was still at school.... I was only allowed to have a car if I had a job and paid for all of the gas, oil changes, etc.. so I'm thankful that I wasn't spoiled in that way either!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much! :) I'll be sure to tell them you said so. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this post! Life lessons you were learning having to do all that on your own! Kudos to your parents! We did not have tons of money growing up either, I did how ever get my first PREPAID cell when I was 13 but that was only because I went out with friends a lot. But once in high school I had to buy & pay for my own! Virgin Mobile it was! These lessons are good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They raised a great daughter! Loving kids is easy...not spoiling them in a world like today is hard. Give them everything and they risk not appreciating it. It's ok to have to earn things on their own. They're better off for that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sweet!! And yes, I grew up very similar and am thankful for those lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this!! I feel exactly the same way - I know exactly why they didn't just shower us with everything we saw and wanted when we were younger. They wanted to teach us the value of money, they wanted us to earn what we wanted, and things were not cheap! I'm grateful for the way we grew up. Too many spoiled kids have come my way in the work environment, expecting everything to be handed to them on a silver platter. Rude awakenings ahead for them1!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My parents were the same way and I'm so glad. Your mom is really the best though. She saved us that night with the tire.

    ReplyDelete