Tuesday, December 23, 2014

10 Things to Do in Georgia!

Y'all are in for a treat today! Kristyn from Chits and Giggles and I have teamed up to present:

10 Things To Do In Georgia

Kristyn and I are both Georgia natives and we want to share some things you can do in Georgia that you might not have known were available.
Here's what Kristyn has to say: 

Living in Georgia has been so amazing. I grew up just outside of Atlanta and I wouldn't go back. I wouldn't change anything about Georgia for anything else.

one | Georgia Aquarium.  This is a wonderful place to go as a family to see the dolphins, penquins and whale sharks. The whale sharks are truly amazing and huge, so go and check it out. And while you are there, you can walk across the street and visit the World of Coke.
  beluga whales

  two | Take a trip to the mountains. Yes, there are mountains in Georgia. And they aren't that far away from Atlanta. Between an hour and 2 hours away are beautiful mountains that can just take your breath away. I might be biased about the mountains in Georgia, but I do believe they are beautiful and so peaceful. North Georgia Mountains
three | Helen, GA. If there is one place you want to go when you visit Georgia, it is Helen. Why? Because it's awesome people watching and looks very much like an old German town. It's a great place to go to try new beers and you are close to hiking and wineries.

four | Mercier Orchards. When we were planning our wedding, my mom mentioned Mercier Orchards. This place is located in Blue Ridge, GA and is a great place to go apple picking or just for some wonderful homemade goodies. We have bought homemade breads, donuts, fried pies, jams, and apples, of course. It's such a fun trip if you have a few hours to spare.
  Apple Picking at Mercier Orchards   

five | beaches. Believe it or not, Georgia has some wonderful beaches. St. Simons and Jekyll Island are just a few. They are located on what is called the Golden Isles are are just beautiful. From Atlanta, they are about 5 hours away. It's a wonderful place to go and recharge, and relax. Plus, it's wonderful to be able to get to the beach and not having to drive all the way to Florida.

And for me? As one of the (lucky?) few to have been born and raised in Georgia I've done a lot all over this great state. Here are a few of my favorite activities. (Mostly family friendly)

One | Yellow River Game Ranch. Located in Lilburn, GA. It’s like a zoo… only different. It’s not nearly as expensive as Zoo Atlanta, and you get more of an experience with the animals. Josh and I took Zander when he was younger. Now that Ainsley is at an age where she’s fascinated by animals we plan to go again. When you buy your tickets, you have the option to purchase food for the animals, too. BUT! It’s not a petting zoo. Not quite. You CAN pet most of the animals though. Animals you can interact with: deer, rabbits, goats, sheep, and squirrels. Yes, y’all read correctly. You get to pet and feed live deer. Animals that are in enclosures: bears, mountain lions, and eagles. Your kids (and you for that matter) will love it! Link 

Two | Chateau Élan. Located in Braselton, GA. It’s a hotel, a winery, and so much more. I was lucky enough to go here for my Company Christmas Party this year. Josh and I absolutely plan on going back for a visit though. This place includes a golf course, A SPA (hi! Yes please!), wine tastings, and of course hosts events. Sitting on 3,500 acres there’s plenty of ways to get lost and enjoy your stay. Chateau Élan could be considered both “eat” and “play” since there’s eight different restaurants on the property. Seriously, y’all… go! You won’t be sorry. Link 

Three | Amicalola Falls. Located in Dahlonega, GA. If you’re in the mood for a nice hike and some outside time, the falls are perfect. The falls are 729 ft. You can either park at the top and hike your way down, or vice versa. We’ve always parked at the bottom and hiked up. There ARE stairs and there is a halfway / resting point so no need to panic about walking up a mountain! We tend to go in the fall when the Georgia heat doesn’t make you want to die of exhaustion. PLUS we always get amazing pictures of the beautiful fall leaves! Link

Four | Malibu Grand Prix. Located in Norcross, GA. (Noticing a theme of family friendly activities?) Malibu is one of those places where you have everything from Miniature Golf to indoor laser tag. (Or at least they used to have the laser tag… things might have changed) There’s definitely go-cart racing and bumper boats though. (Like bumper cars, but, well… boats). It’s just something fun to do as a family. Link  

Five | The Varsity. Located in Athens, GA / Norcross, GA / Atlanta, GA. OK, some of my fellow Georgia Natives are going to bash me on this one, but this is one of those places that you have to try at LEAST once when you’re visiting Georgia. (Admit it, my fellow natives… you know it to be true). The Varsity is an attempt at a classic diner that has been around since 1928. It’s loaded with grease, fat, and sugar but the onion rings are to die for! One thing to be sure to order when you visit: The Frosted Orange. Just do it. "What'll Ya Have?" Link
 photo TRLSigNov2014_zps7a838dc4.png

17 comments :

  1. Great post! These are all some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good list, a few I have visited! I have never ate at The Varsity, but I heard it was so good. :P This post actually makes me remember some places I have visited in GA over my years, & I may do this type post too! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey isn't the cabbage patch place in GA too? I've always wanted to go there lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! There is the cabbage patch hospital in Cleveland, GA. it's actually on the way to Helen (one of the places Krsityn mentioned). We've been there a few times. It's really fun! You can tour the hospital for FREE; they get your money at the gift shops where the dolls are $50! hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy the varsity. it's SO greasy though. I think that's why it's shunned by a lot of people. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO...I'm coming to Georgia to do all of the above! Ha, or at least try. This sounds fantastic. Georgia is the only state on the eastern border that I've never been too.. Let's plan! I want to go wine tasting and have a wine christmas tree...dang.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I've told you Georgia is one of my favorite places. Love the state, love the people and love this list. I've been to several places but will certainly consider some of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these places girls, I've always loved that we have a little bit of everything here in Georgia! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This needs to be changed, pronto Missy! (but I've also never been to RI) hahaha. but seriously, there's SO MUCH to do here. we didn't even talk about stone mountain, or the world of coke or CNN center or the FERRIS WHEEL! hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks sweetie! :) I love it too. There's so much to do in the mountains AND the city! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Yellow River Game Ranch. Mom used to take us when we were little and I've since gone back a few times as an adult. It's still so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Orchards and the aquarium? I AM SO COMING TO VISIT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it too! I can't wait to go back with Zander AND Ainsley this time! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I'm glad I have a guide to go by if we ever make our way down there!!!

    ReplyDelete