Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Monthly Musings || Christmas

Hello, y'all!!
Lora and I are so excited that it's time for another round of Monthly Musings. Last month we really enjoyed reading what y'all were thankful about. This month we're all about Christmas! Who else can't believe that it's just a week away? Um, not this gal. Denial is not just a river in Egypt! While I'm very much excited about Christmas, I'm also very much NOT ready. Last minute shopper here. I'll probably get everything else I need TOMORROW! Not exaggerating even a little bit. *Sigh* oh well, such is life.

HOWEVER. We're not here to talk about last minute shopping, are we? Nope, we're here to focus on the finer things in life!
The Rambling Llama


So, Christmas. This Christmas will be my 27th one. It will also be my 27th birthday. How bout them apples? Ha! I can honestly say that Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year. Because I'm a blogger and all bloggers love lists, (right?) and mostly because I'm having trouble keeping my thoughts in line without a list that's what we're going to do to count the ways that Melissa Loves Christmas.

// Family time. Sure. I get family time with Thanksgiving, but the majority of the time my uncles retreat to the football game after the meal. OR everyone is napping somewhere. With Christmas, as soon as the big meal is done we ALL retreat to the family room for quality family time. (and presents. of course there's presents).

// Stockings. I don't know about y'all but ever since I was  a little kid my mom always made my stocking special. She still does a stocking for me and my sister even though we haven't lived in the house for years. I've carried over the tradition into my own family, and I even fill Josh's and my stockings. Because, you know, we're adults. Zander loves it. Stockings are perfect for little toy cars, candy, and of course socks. Since no one wants to get socks under the Christmas tree.

// My Kids on Christmas morning. Before having kids, I didn't really "get" the whole concept of seeing a kids' eyes light up on Christmas morning. The first year Zander really understood Christmas and grasped the concept of Santa leaving him gifts was magical to me. Seeing his face light up as he walked into the living room and realizing SANTA CAME! Oh my gosh, y'all... it's priceless and it's one of those moments that you can never really fully capture with a picture.

// Apple Pie. Sure, I can get apple pie anytime of the year, but for my birthday I get a special apple pie just for me. Not even kidding a little bit. My grandma makes a special apple pie just for my birthday. She makes the crust by hand. She peels, cuts, and cooks the apples. There's literally nothing artificial in this pie, y'all. The best part? It's my special pie. I have the option to share (or not) if I want. Lucky for me, Josh isn't a huge fan of apple pie. Everyone else in my family (on my dad's side) gets a birthday cookie cake. Clearly I'm not spoiled at all. Clearly.

// My Birthday. I've said it once, I'll say it a million times. For me having a birthday ON Christmas DOES. NOT. SUCK! I love it. I've always loved it. My family has always made a special effort to make my birthday feel like a birthday and not a birthday / Christmas combo. Sure, we always DO open Christmas gifts, but there's something special extra. My birthday has never felt like anything strange or forced. I feel like it'd be what a birthday feels like if it was in July. Except for not wearing summer clothes. It's my special day and I will rock it. I'll make sure everyone knows it, too! Except maybe in a few years when I'm in my mid 30's. HA!
My Birthday 2006; Amanda's Fave pic of me!

// Christmas Trees + Lights. I LOVE seeing all of the Christmas decor as I drive through our town. We live in a small town, and everyone tends to go all out for Christmas. It's like "go big or go home" sort of thing. I wish I had a picture to share, but I always feel strange about parking my car in someone's front yard... BUT there's one house that literally has every square inch of the front yard COVERED in Christmas inflatables. Plus their house is covered in lights. I'm not sure how long it took them to accumulate so many inflatables but it's pretty dang impressive! There's just something about the twinkling lights and the Christmas trees that really make my heart smile. I love seeing all of the decor.

What are your favorites for the holiday season? What are some of your Christmas traditions? Be sure to link up with Lora and I and share!
 photo TRLSigNov2014_zps7a838dc4.png

13 comments :

  1. Cute stockings! Also Christmas being your birthday is pretty cool. It's lovely that you get an apple pie too, it's your special day after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LEGIT that is one of my FAV pics of you! I'll be linking up tomorrow after these darned finals are over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks. These stockings pictured my Grandma knitted. Everyone in the family has a set for their house AND a set at her house that she hangs along the staircase. :) she's pretty thorough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck with finals!! you've got this! :) the link up is open for a week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEST PICTURE EVER!!! You and my mom share a birthday... with Jesus of course. haha ;) Those are some super cute stockings, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I realized that after watching your vlog yesterday and I forgot to say something. Your mom will get a kick out of it! It's a GREAT birthday! And thank you! I think Amanda was the one that took the picture. 8 years old and it still shows up online. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that your Grandma does something special for you on your birthday! And that picture = classic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's the best! I think she started doing it because she heard me complain out loud about birthday cookies and asked what my favorite was ("apple pie") and every year since has been pie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha "or everyone is napping somewhere" is so true for thanksgiving! so glad to hear you love having your birthday and christmas on the same day and your family makes it special for you! mmm apple pie.


    totally had a big fat grin on my face reading about your kids' eyes lighting up christmas morning. so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stockings are the best for sure. Our parents still do them for me & Keith! Ha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I want your apple pie!!!! Happy Birthday to you, too! That's great that you enjoy having your birthday that day so much!!

    ReplyDelete