Thursday, December 18, 2014

That Time I Saved the Salmon

Y'all, I don't know about you, but I tend to run out of things in my pantry at the worst possible moment. Let's take last Sunday for example. I had every intention of making Salmon Patties for dinner. Yum, right? I thought I had everything I needed. I was very excited about this salmon, and began prepping. Salmon? Check. Egg? Check. Seasonings and onions? Check. Breadcrumbs? Umm... not quite enough. Whomp, Whomp.

This is where my quick thinking came in handy. Of course, I didn't have any actual bread or flour to substitute for seasoned breadcrumbs. Nope... that would be too easy. And clearly we did not make a trip to the store that weekend! Oops. I did, however, have triscuits. Stale triscuits to be exact. Dill and sea salt stale triscuits. Yay. How was that going to work? Thinking on my feet, y'all! That's how it worked!

What You'll Need:

+ Stale crackers. Something with a flavor or seasoning would probably work best for this

+ A food processor or grinder

+ A handy, dandy storage tin. I used the old breadcrumbs tin.

Break up your crackers into small, bite size pieces. They tend to grind in the food processor a little easier this way. At least for me they did. Also, I don't recommend filling the container to the top. This way all of the crackers get to the blades.
Blend and mix with the food processor and store everything you don't use!

It's really THAT simple. I was pretty impressed with myself . The salmon patties tasted amazing, and now I have a small stash of breadcrumbs stored up for when I decide to make something like this... or meatloaf. Because I can almost promise that I will forget to get more breadcrumbs from the store next time.
I hope this helps y'all as much as it did me! What have you done to save dinner lately?

 photo TRLSigNov2014_zps7a838dc4.png

20 comments :

  1. I love your resourcefulness. I always seem to get home from the shop and realise I forgot to buy something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea! This happens to me all the time. I currently don't have sugar or white flour but tried to make homemade Christmas cookies... They did not taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl. Thinking on your feet. There are times when it seems there is always something missing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the things I never think of! I would have said "eh, ok, let's order pizza instead." (it ALL comes back to pizza lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly would've never have thought of that. Good thinking! I also never have crackers...ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. ALWAYS! there's always something I forget to buy. it never fails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no! I never have flour either. Reasons why I don't bake. hahaha. Were they "just because" cookies or for an occasion?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha I was pretty dang proud of myself. hence the blog post hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY Pizza!!! I swear you and I will go out for some really amazing pizza when we meet up one of these days! :) my pizza soul sister

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks!! I'm still pretty dang pleased with myself. :) I obviously had to share with the world!

    ReplyDelete
  11. um. That sounds so good! I bet you could use these for chicken too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES! Chicken, meatloaf, anything! The seasoning was perfect. Not sure why we never ate the triscuits. We're not a big cracker family. but it worked to my benefit that night!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Salman patties??WHAT! They sound amazing. Kudos to you for thinking on your feet for an alternative!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg girl, I'll send you the recipe. (Which is honestly more of a "dash of this / handful of that" deal) but yes... they're DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ohhh super smart!!! i'm rarely the cook so this never occurs to me but good to keep in my noggin should i ever desire cooking (salmon on the other hand...that may take a few years) :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. hahaha, well to be fair I haven't tried these with FRESH salmon. I tend to use the 14.75 oz cans. My family loves them though. the ONE way I can get Josh to eat anything close to fish. (he won't even eat fish sticks!) haha

    ReplyDelete
  17. well great, now I'm starving and want this RIGHT NOW. I am pinning this for when we're finally in our new home! So good!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL.... sooo I thought you were talking about eating just the "breadcrumbs" then I thought to myself "well, I've eaten worse... so no judgement" but then realized "duh, the post is about salmon patties!" hahaha. definitely save this! it was a life saver when I ran out! :) plus they seasoned the salmon perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahaha! That made me LOL for real. (Breadcrumbs are good too.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I ran out of bread crumbs a little while ago, too. I didn't have triscuits, though. I did have a mom nearby that had extra for me, though. This is a great idea. I might buy a box for the future! lol

    ReplyDelete