Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Drinking, Pie Eating, and Hair Cutting.

Not everyone has the best relationship with their mom, and that really makes me sad. My mom and I are super close. I love that I can call her anytime and we can sit and talk on the phone for a good long while. It's never a forced conversation "just because" I needed to call her. It's always a phone call because I had something funny or important to tell her.

Last week was Thanksgiving. (Duh, thanks captain obvious). My mom recently bought a new house, and she has TONS of room. My little brothers were going to be with their dad for Thanksgiving, and since my Aunt and Uncle from Wisconsin would be staying in the guest room, my mom offered for Josh, the Kids and I to stay in the other rooms on Wednesday night. UM! Yes please! Able to avoid driving on Thanksgiving AND get extra time with family? Heck yes!
me and my mommy! 
Did I mention my mom's side of the family likes wine? Clearly that's where I get it from. So Wednesday night after the kids were in bed the adults enjoyed some adult beverages. The guys were in the "man cave" watching army movies and the girls were upstairs gossiping. Wine in hand: my mom, aunt and I talked about everything. Failed relationships, current relationships, funny work stories. You name it- it was talked about. That night though we went to bed relatively early (11 pm) knowing we had to get up early to cook Thanksgiving food!
fast forward to Thursday night...
The family has come and gone. My little family of four is still lingering. My aunt says (with the excitement of a 4 year old) "Are you sleeping over again!?" I looked at Josh and we shrugged and said "SURE!" hahaha. Josh had to work Friday, so my mom washed the work clothes he'd worn on Wednesday. It all worked out.

We absolutely had a repeat of Wednesday night. Drinking wine, talking, and laughing. Only that night we stayed up much later. (12:30). Want to know what's NOT a great idea for something to do while drinking? Cutting Melissa's hair. But dang it... Melissa's hair got cut anyway. I've been needing a trim for Months. MONTHS. It was bad. I know it was bad. Apparently my aunt just couldn't stand looking at it. I'm not even sure why I let her trim it... but I did. Surprisingly it doesn't look bad. However, she also gave me money to go to the fanciest (ha) salon in Monroe to get the rest thinned out and fixed up. I wish there was video. The peanut gallery (Josh, my step dad, and uncle) thought it'd be more funny to watch and laugh though. They're so sweet.

Around midnight Thursday night, we decided that we needed pumpkin pie to absorb some of the wine.

We're such thinkers. It was so refreshing to me to be able to spend time with two wonderful women in my family like that. I feel so close to both of them, and I absolutely know I can tell them anything. (Even when wine is not involved). Both of these women have helped me in so many ways growing up and helping me become the woman that I am today.

Given that it's Wednesday, I'm linking up with Anne for Wednesday Wishes.
Love the Here and Now
My wish is that everyone be able to have someone in their lives like my mom and aunt. Someone you can confide in. A family member with the closeness of a friend. Someone you can drink too many glasses of wine with and wake up at an ungodly hour to cook a turkey. (hehe).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLUS A REMINDER!!
In two weeks from today, December 17th, Lora and I will have another installment of Monthly Musings. This month, we're musing on Christmas! Tell us all about your holiday favorites. What do you love most about Christmas? We can't wait to see what everyone has to say. Here's the button if you want to go ahead and start planning!
The Rambling Llama
 photo TRLSigNov2014_zps7a838dc4.png

19 comments :

  1. This sounds blissful. That's such a great photo of you both! I love phoning my mum and chatting about books or what we've had for dinner or to help each other through a bad day. Plus, count me in for Monthly Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait you didn't post a picture of your haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually... that picture was from Sunday so that was the haircut. The biggest difference is in the back. My aunt actually took off like 2 inches! It's still very long though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much! I love the quality time we have together. and YAY! so glad to have you this month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the funniest story!! Love it :) One of my friends and I in college permed her hair while enjoying some wine. I will never forget that memory. Loved hearing all of your family stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it was a blast, especially if you got a drunken trim out of it! Ha! :P I am the same with my mom. She has always be a bestie to me. We talk almost everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! Time with our families is so precious. And bonus - you got a haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Captain Obvious - hahaha!!! I love that picture of you and your mom! Family time is just the best. As is wine. And pie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha. This post could have gone with yesterday's awesome things. Last weekend WAS full of awesomeness. :D and thank you! I love my mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. be sure to check instagram Saturday for the REAL haircut. not that the drunken trim was bad... but my aunt gave me money and said "now you have no excuses to get it cut"... I really just need my hair thinned out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's the best isn't it? I love being close with my mom! I couldn't imagine it any other way. So glad you have that with your mom too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hahaha. It was even better in person. The guys were cracking up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is always time for wine drinking...I would not suggest getting a hair cut after that but I'm the last to talk. I always bring a bottle of vodka when I get my hair done. My stylist and I like to drink!! P.s. Moms are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mom and you look like twins! Gorgeous! Was she young when she had you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. She was 22. Same age that I was when I had Zander! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahahaha. Don't worry I won't make a habit of drunken aunt haircuts. I'll leave that to the pros.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good genes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Drinking with your parents is always fun. At least it is in our families :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. HAHA YES! "never have I ever" with your mom and wine drinking with my mom for the win! OOHHH Memories! hahaha

    ReplyDelete